Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica, longevity, and advertising
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:22:13 -0700 (PDT)

From an artistic point of view it was great...a true
classic. From a commercial point of view I doubt that
it paid for itself a million times in PR.

I think it appealed most to people that were either
going to buy Mac's anyway or already had them....I
think you are supposed to feel "what a smart, radical
thinker I am not to have gone down the path of the
masses following Microsoft" (actually Microsoft makes
more profit per Macintosh than per Windows
machine...confirmed for me several years ago in
Redmond at Microsoft internal meetings...)

The purpose of advertising is to generate new
sales...I doubt that there is any evidence that it was
a great success at doing that (Apple market share
before vs. after).  One of the most successful ad
campaigns in computer history is the current set of
Dell ads with the surfer dude kid that says "Dude your
gettin a Dell"...it's had a tremendous impact on
sales, and no one would argue with the fact that it is
not a great artistic accomplishment...art doesn't sell
to the masses.

Let's face it, current Leica owners are not the target
of the hands campaign. They're trying to tie into some
different target market...not sure who it is, but
since it isn't aimed at me I don't much care...just
hope they keep selling so they don't go under.