Subject: Re: [Leica] Ilfochrome
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 14:43:54 -0400

Tim Atherton wrote:

> This is happening with films fairly regularly now, so, in a smaller market
> like Australia, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happening to something
> like Ilfochrome.

This is concerning. With all the hubub about digital I've has some slides
printed both by a Frontier onto the Ilfochrome polyester base and onto
Ilfochrome "classic" and the quality of the digital enlargements just don't
cut it as far as I am concerned -- I've shown the 8x12 prints to several
non-photographers who clearly prefer the Ilfochrome classic. The digital
enlargements just have a digital quality to them and the prints just don't
have the same "depth" as do those from optical enlargements.

We've recently been to photo galleries and the same seems to be true for
"high end" lightjet, glicee prints etc.

I am afraid that alot of people who've jumped over to digital printing are
either fooling themselves into ignoring the lowered quality or have done so
for purely commercial reasons.

Jonathan