Subject: [Leica] RE: Opinions Please 135mm lens for M - long
From: "Mitch Zeissler" <zeissler@directvinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 06:36:18 -0400

Mike...

For the past 3 and a 1/2 years I've been going through the same thing you
describe; getting the Leica bug and upgrading to full Leica content.  During
that time, I've owned five 135mm Leica lenses [an early and a  very late
Hektor, two early goggled 135 f/2.8s and the current 135 APO].

If you are wanting to just get your feet wet, the Hektor isn't a bad choice
to start with and a mint condition unit can be found for ~ $100 or so.  The
later the better; antireflective coatings began in screw mount around serial
number 590xxx [1942?] and production numbers ended in M mount around 1827xxx
[1960].  I used both of mine quite a bit, but it is a very slow lens, even
with fast film.  Images from the earliest unit were quite warm in rendition;
the later unit had more neutral color and much less lens flare.  Quite light
in weight, if that is a factor for you, but that has to be offset by the
weight of the tripod it needs for low light conditions.  CLAs are pretty
much required for these when you first get them, but they are inexpensive to
have serviced.

Frustrated by the lack of handheld available light options with the Hektor,
I upgraded to the goggled 135 f/2.8.  Prices for the f/2.8 vary greatly;
early user units [1st version 1962 - 1967xxx] can go for as little as $400
or so and the later units [end of the 2nd version 1998 - 3750xxx] are $700
and up. This is one of the few M lenses heavier than a Noctilux [my primary
lens] and it is *much* bulkier.  I discovered the handheld available light
use of the f/2.8 to be very limited, and it would add mere minutes to what I
had previously been able to get with the Hektor at early twilight and added
nothing to dark interiors; another tripod lens, or flash is needed.  Color
rendition is neutral on the early models and I found little in the way of
lens flare.  The goggles are *very* nice and allow you to see everything
magnified to *just* the 135 frames on the M3 or M6; however they can be
knocked out of alignment fairly easily, so keep in mind the f/2.8 may need
to go out for servicing more frequently than you are accustomed to.  Bokeh
is very nice and buttery, if you are into it, and the depth of field wide
open at close focus approaches that of the Noct.

Wanting to get rid of the extra weight of the f/2.8, I very recently
upgraded to the APO.  Only a half stop slower, the APO is sharper, *much*
less bulky and lighter than the f/2.8.  Prices for used units are pretty
high for it at the present, but should not require servicing should you pick
one up.  I find using the M6 .85 with the 1.25x magnifier to help a lot in
focusing, but not to the same extent as the goggles on the f/2.8.  So far, I
feel the images are acceptable [the colors *really* sparkle and flare is
non-existent], but I give the nod to the f/2.8 for portraits and bokeh.  I'm
still playing with it, but may go back to the f/2.8 for my final choice in
the 135 arena.

Hope that helps you.

/Mitch
Mitch Zeissler