Subject: RE: [Leica] Update on Nikon 8000ED scanner
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 12:54:37 -0400

> Darrell,
>
> Excellent info from Henning, Tina, et al. Thanks! Scan dpi is not
> the same
> as print dpi.

Technically (as I have designed a number of scanners and know a bit about
this subject), scanners scan at SAMPLES per inch, and output data that are
PIXELS (and there is really NO per inch information for pixels, as pixels
have no inherent dimensional values.  Only when inputting and outputting do
the "per inch" really matter.  The files do contain dimensional info, but
this info isn't really meaningful, as far as the digital image is concerned,
and is more for reference).  Printers print (inkjet that is) at DOTS per
inch.  The printer driver translates the pixels into solid ink color dots to
simulate tones.

I STRONGLY urge scanning at the full optical resolution of the scanner, and
when printing, simply re-size the image (with OUT interpolating.  Uncheck
one of the boxes in the PS resize image window to disable interpolation) and
let the pixels per inch to the printer driver fall where it may.  This is
providing you have sufficient PPI to the printer for your image size...and
for very large output, 180+ is fine, and for smaller output size, 240+ is
fine...more is better up to a point (meaning will yield better output, but
still, you're better not interpolating the data and sending more data to the
printer driver than interpolating and degrading the data), but you've got
what you've got from your scanner.  These minimum recommended numbers are
very image dependant.  There is no magic pixels per inch for the current
Epson inkjet printers...  If you resize the image, and do interpolate the
data, you degrade it.

> I've been using 360 l/mm as an even fraction of the printer's 1440 res,

There is no reason to use an even divisor, as the dither patterns of typical
inkjet printers do not care.  You are better off NOT interpolating the data
(except when the "need" for GF arises, of course, as stated above for large
output sizes where your PPI to the printer falls too low) and simply sending
the printer driver as much as you can.

> ...and was just doing web display.

For web output, of course, scanning at far less than the optical resolution
of the scanner may work just fine...in fact, some scanners may do a very
decent job if you 1/2 or 1/4 the optical resolution...but the bottom line is
experimentation will give you your own answers.

Regards,

Austin