Subject: [Leica] My New (old) M3 and some problems
From: "John Um" <jumesq@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 22:35:43 -0400

Hello everyone,

this is a first non-reply post for me thereby removing me from the mass of
lug lurkers.  i met many of you during the annual lug meeting at the ICP and
it was a pleasure putting faces to many different names.

here is my question.  i just picked up a "user" m3 from someone over the
internet because i've always wanted a classic m to shoot with.  i was
previously informed that the camera was not pretty to look at, which is fine
since i fancy myself a shooter, not a collector.  perhaps i'm too poor to be
a collector 8?)  anyway, there are 3 issues i find with my m3:

first:  there are some large scratches/scrapes that run along the mirror
inside the viewfinder.  they can be seen from both the eyepiece and the
outer viewfinder.  the viewfinder seems slightly dimmer than my m6ttl .85
finder.  is this what they call slivering(or silvering) of the mirror?  is
this a serious problem?

second:  my m lenses (recent 50 and 35 summicrons) will not focus closer
than 2.5 feet.  any closer than 2.5 feet and the lens will still turn and
focus another 1/2" closer, with the viewfinder remaining on the same focus
distance.  is that normal for m3's?  my m6 will focus all the way down.

third:  there is a decent amount of resistance putting on/taking off lenses;
  more so than my m6.

i hope i'm not being paranoid, but i wasn't informed of these issues and i
wanted to get a second opinion before i went back to the seller.

thanx!

- -john