Subject: RE: [Leica] Divided by a common language.
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 09:28:33 -0400

B.D.

How was the workshop ?
As much details as you can spare please.
Thank you.

- - Phong

- --------------
As I wrote on the evaluation form - along with the ratings from 1-10, almost
all of which were 10s for me - this was not a workshop for someone looking
for a traditional structured workshop: it was very loosey goosey. But it was
worth far far more than the cost: it was a week-long opportunity to spend
time with and absorb photographic philosophy from the person who has been
described on more than one occasion as the photographic heir to Lewis Hine,
Eugene Smith, and Robert Frank of The Americans. It was, in essence, a week
spent sitting at the feet of the Buddha, and if you were open enough to
really hear what was being said, it could be invaluable. The private
portfolio review was fabulous Richards's  ability to 'see' the bigger
picture and come up with insightful advice is really mind boggling. It isn't
a 'this photo would be better if you framed it that way' kind of analysis,
but more of looking at where he thinks you're trying to go and providing
advice on how to get there.

The real purpose of the week seemed to be to get each person to work outside
his or her 'comfort zone,' and it sure accomplished that - I know that I was
damn uncomfortable, and am not at all pleased with what I produced. But I am
pleased with the personal photographic incites I have taken away from the
week.

BTW - LUGer John David Emmett was in the same workshop - and its both an
excellent photographer and a highly delightful guy.

B. D.