Subject: [Leica] RF Flare, was: Solms repairs (for the record)
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:55:33 -0700

Daniel:  I remember my feeling when I started using my M4-P in difficult
lighting:  "Sheesh, my old M2 never flared like this!" followed by, "How
the <expletive> am I supposed to focus this thing?"

Apart from getting the M7, or whatever viewfinder retrofit that Leica may
eventually provide, there are a few things that can make the flare less
troublesome.

1.  "The Shade," made by a Swiss fellow named Lutz Konermann.  I believe he
is taking some time off from *making* new stuff, but when I wrote him a
couple of months ago, he had some "Shades" still available.  Write him at
lutzkonermann@compuserve.com and see.  The Shade is made of material that
restricts light at certain angles.  It does dim the bright lines in the
viewfinder some.  It does alleviate the flare, noticeably, but not completely.

2. A material similar to that used in the Shade is available
commercially.  Check the LUG archives.  We discussed it some time back.

3. A colored gel over the illuminator window makes it easier to recognize
the flare and change your eye position or angle of view slightly.

4. A piece of black tape partially covering the illuminator window.

5. A black cardboard "awning" around the top and sides of both the RF and
illuminator windows.  You can stick it on with double-stick foam or
similar.  I found these very effective, but they kept falling off as the
camera went in and out of the bag.

6.  Wear a hat with a big brim while shooting.

7.  Get a Hexar RF or a Bessa R or R2. They don't flare.   Hexar:  Dimmer
viewfinder, .6x.  Bessa: Short base RF, but an incredible bright viewfinder
with good eye relief for glasses wearers.  Too bad it's basically a cheap
SLR with this wonderful VF grafted on.

8.  Find a junker M3 with a broken shutter but a good viewfinder.  (good
luck!) Get a repairman to do a transplant.

No, we shouldn't have to do this stuff with an expensive camera.  Yes, it
stinks.  Yes, this problem has been around for over 20 years, and it's
unbelievable that it has taken Leica this long to even acknowledge it, no
less deal with it.  That's reality.  As mad as this problem made me, I'm
still a Leica guy.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA