Subject: Re: [Leica] Test images from Nikon 8000 and Epson 3000
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 10:16:34 -0400

At 06:54 AM 7/17/02 -0700, you wrote:
>   The scan of the transparancy was done on the Nikon
>Coolscan 8000ED and was used to create the print. The
>print was done on the Epson 3000 on Cone Tech Photo
>Matte paper (which is a very smooth surface, so the
>grain you are seeing is not coming from the paper
>surface).

Even with a very smooth paper, the grain could still be the texture of the
paper depending on how it absorbs the ink.  The least grainy papers I've
found for use with Generations ink are Legion Photo Matte and Epson
Archival Matte.  Do you have a sample file without grain that you could
print as a trial on the Cone Tech paper?  A photo from a digital camera or
one of the step wedges should tell you whether the grain is in the scan,
the paper, or the printing process.

>Any thoughts would be appreciated....Am I expecting
>too much?

No.  Keep trying  ;-)

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP