Subject: Re: [Leica] Film for Street/Steve Unsworth PAW week 28
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 13:11:49 -0400

Mark wrote:

 >I just don't think street photography is about medium speed 100 films
anymore!!!!
...like for about for 40 years now!.<

I read recently that Winogrand used 1200 asa film, TriX in Acufine, I
imagine......

Ah, here it is. Meyerowitz talking about working with Winogrand. "The
reason was to be able to shoot at 1/1000th of a second, because if you made
pictures on the street at 1/125th, they were blurry."

That was that rapid fire, close up, instant response, no time to focus
style. In contrast to Robert Frank's style, he says, "Frank didn't work
that way. His pictures were much slower. You could see that he was working
at 1/30th and 1/60th and 1/125th." Generally, further back from the subjects.

Last weekend I was trying to shoot a parade and party at 1/60th and wished
I had something faster for more DOF. I like motion blur, but I'm not good
at focusing a Leica yet.

Quotes are from Bystander: A History of Street Photography - great book.
Not too much art critic hoo-ha.

BTW, Steve, I like your main shot very much. If Ted's right, I think she's
telling the other guy she is *busy* that night. Now, what the hell was a
NYC fire truck doing in Paris?

Carl