Subject: [Leica] When f 1 is too mush!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 19:40:10 -0700

"When f 1.0 is too much out of focus!"

Hi Gang,
An interesting observation when using the Noctilus at f 1.0 creating a "too
much out of focus look" that actually becomes a distraction compared to the
same situation at  f 2.0!  Same lens but stopped down to f 2.0.

As many of you are aware I'm Bigtime into using M7 and the Noctilux on my
new medical project, women in medicine. Today when editing negatives shot at
f 1.0 during an eye examination at an Ophthalmologist's office I found
something I'd not experienced before.

A couple of shots were very interesting, but the depth of field at f 1.0
created a weird look, a visual distortion of out of focus that was
distracting, compared to a few frames of the same scene but shot at f2.0 .
Where there was just enough sharpness, read "less out of focus" to carry the
background to an acceptable sharpness of recognition content.

It's something I've not encountered in my many years of using a Noctilux and
I'm sure it's merely the clothing and angle of focus that added to this
strange out of focus look. I just thought you might find it interesting that
sometimes weird visual phenomena can occur when using some lenses under
certain angles and wide open  apertures.

ted