Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Vario-Elmar-R 75~200 f4.5
From: Douglas Herr<telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:57:29 -0700

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:32:25 -0500 robertmeier@usjet.net wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with the 75-
> 200/4.5 Vario-Elmar?  I have a chance to get
> one for my R5 and am wondering how it compares
> to the 70-210 and to prime lenses.  TIA

If ultimate detail rendition is your goal, use a prime or the current 80-200
f/4.0.  I don't know how this lens compares with the 70-210, but IMHO the
75-200 is a decent lens, but not outstanding.  There's some linear distortion
at the extremes of the zoom range, and flare is well controlled especially
considering the number of air/glass interfaces.  Its construction reminds me
of the best japanese zooms from the 1980s, not surprising since that's what it
is.  The construction and "feel" don't say "Leica" to me.  One advantage of
the 75-200 zoom is that it can use the same ELPRO close-up lenses that many
other Leica primes use.

Doug Herr<BR>Birdman of Sacramento<BR>http://www.wildlightphoto.com