Subject: Re: [Leica] Hyperbolae
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 06:33:05 -0700

Neil Beddoe marketed himself:
>>While I was in NYC on the 4th of July, I spotted a gang of nude
motorcycling
nuns.  They were involved in a horrendous crash with a tanker carrying
almond massage oil and a truck full of ping pong balls.  Luckily I had my
camera and caught the whole thing.

Not true but nobody commented when I posted "A morning walk in NYC" and you
just gotta market yourself.

Good morning Neil,
OK here's one.

Dancers:
The feet and legs appear out of focus as though your point of focus is
behind them on the watchers.  A slightly slower shutter speed would've given
more "motion of dancing" movement to the legs and feet enhancing a "dancing
effect.." The light is distracting in everyone of the posted pictures... not
your fault as one can't control sunshine. But in these bright sun hard
shadow scenes it's a killer.... unless one is required to use flash fill.

The motley light shining on the shirts of the dancers catches the eyes and
one has a hard time getting of the shirts. If you're going to shoot under
these conditions try to find you "scene within all shadow or all
sunlight.... or where the shadows enhance the scene not distract from it.

Sketch:
The shadows are killing you again. This kind of light - shadow pattern
points up very strongly what Marc Riboud says about sunlight... "It's the
enemy of photographers" or close to that. meaning it creates harsh shadows
etc etc.

This would've been much better all shadow or all sunlight. I know someone is
going to say "well the shadows on her face give it a kind of mystique of
anonymity..... "Horse hockey pucks!"  It spoils the face and is a
distraction because.... the viewer fights to see who she is.

Bikes:
The rider on tight right is no problem going out of the frame, but the other
two leaders appear out of focus on my screen. Using a higher shutter speed
and stopping them dead or the opposite, slower and let them blur as they
passed could've added
some feeling to this one.

Cop:
This I like and even though the motley shadows are there they don't take
away from the picture because the frame is filled with the main body of the
scene. And it's your re-action to a scene that required some probably quick
camera use before she and her partner moved on. Well done.

Gospel singer:
Probably due to scanning the screen image is flat and muddy looking. This is
the perfect example of >......we don't hear the sound you did!... So telling
us he's a gospel singer means nothing.  The brickwork lower left corner
drags the viewers eyes away from the subject even the "action moment is
good." Hands and arms gesturing.... and that was good timing to shoot.

But once again, it's the killer sunlight spoiling the shot.