Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: M7
From: david degner <leicanews@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:52:39 -0700 (PDT)

While I love hearing this good news that the M7 works like a dream It
makes me question a few things.  Everyone(except for when Tina
described how she metered for the child in the doorway) has said that
the aperture priority, when left alone produces perfectly metered
images.  The real question is, are the perfectly metered images a
reflection of what you had in your head at the time you were shooting.
The meter cannot be using black magic to telepathicly decipher where
the shooter wants middle grey.  The meter is just center weighting the
image and making it middle grey(I think that is what I heard).  This is
great technology but any Canon from ten years ago could have done this,
and today they have a much more complex, supposedly more accurate
metering system.  I am just afraid that AP will make us miss "the shot"
because we forget that it is say; a back lit subject and we want it
sihloeted instead of full of detail.  I know this is all remedial but
we just need to remember it.

David Degner