Subject: [Leica] Re:CCD Heat
From: Roy Feldman <royfel@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:27:23 -0400

Tina sez-"All digital cameras are very sensitive to heat; the hotter the
chip the
more noise you'll have in the image."
Yup-especially at hi ISO's, heat will add noise to an image. The chips
used for astronomy are cooled by refrig units. That being said, I just
returned from one week with 3 photog's shooting at our Arizona Proving
Grounds (aprox 1200 images a day) with temps at about 120 degrees with no
visible degradition.
The problem only shows up at 800-1600 ISO with long exposure times (over 1
sec). We use D1X's.
Roy Feldman
Ford Photographic
rfeldma1@ford.com