Subject: RE: [Leica] film and travel
From: "Stuart Phillips" <Stuart.Phillips@umb.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 01:41:28 -0400

I don't think it's safe to carry ANY film through security.  Checked
baggage is scanned; carry-on is scanned - you are relying on someone
allowing you to get away with a visual inspection. What do you do if
they say no?  You realize that in airport security now you have NO
rights.

I buy my film when I get there (even if I have to have it preordered or
shipped to the hotel) and either develop it myself with Diafine, or use
XP2 and use a minilab to develop, and use Diafine to develop anything
the last day.  I don't really do walking and shooting, but architectural
photography so it's easy to plan not to shoot on the last day.

BTW Diafine is excellent for this kind of bathroom sink developing.  You
don't need stop, only fix (which I put in with my shaving kit), it's not
time or temp. sensitive. Just remember to take supplie, a few basic
tools and junk the chemistry - it's worth pennies anyhow.

Stuart Phillips