Subject: [Leica] RE: Film and Travel
From: "Brian Ampolsk" <bampolsk@csc.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:29:45 -0400

Doug and Bill are right about film and traveling in the current climate.
On a recent and ill-fated trip to Guatemala(I was in a group at Tikal that
became hostages for two and a half days, and consequently had my trip badly
truncated) , I tried to have security manually check my film which was in
see-through ziploc bags.  It's not that they refused to do it.  It's that
they were going to make me pay...  I was told to move over to the side and
they would check each roll...  they would have to open each box of film and
manually check it and the process would take 30 minutes to an hour -
whenever they had a chance to do it.  I agree...  Film is film...  if it's
in a sealed box what else is it going to be.  Anyway, since I wasn't
traveling with anything faster than ISO 400, I decided it wasn't worth the
bother.  However, I do know that the X-Ray machines are getting stronger...
I had a roll I shot in my IIIB fogged, and some really nice shots were
ruined as a result.

So, it's really a problem and I don't know how to deal with it.

Brian

Replies: Reply from Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au> ([Leica] RE: Film and Travel)
Reply from Ben Madison <bmad@pobox.com> (Re: [Leica] RE: Film and Travel)