Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R7
From: "Joe Chan" <leicauser@ntlworld.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 09:07:50 +0100

Lee,

I bought a used R7 last month as a second body to my R6.2. What amazed me
most was that it gives you aperture priority, shutter priority and variable
program modes along with DX coding but with no additional controls compared
with the R6.2!

The shutter release, being electronic, is a little lighter than the R6.2's
mechanical one. Shutter speeds can be set in 1/2 stop increments.

The viewfinder information is excellent. In aperture priority mode, it shows
the aperture set on the lens and the camera's auto-selected shutter speed.
In shutter prioriy mode, it shows the selected shutter speed and the
camera's auto-selected aperture. In manual mode, it shows the selected lens
aperture, the selected shutter speed and also displays a scale showing the
amount of under or over-exposure by up to 2 stops.

There is a limitation with the metering in that you the metering option is
linked to the camera mode, e.g. you can't choose the integral metering in
manual mode and you can't choose partial metering with program or shutter
priority mode. However, Leica may have deliberately designed it this way.

It's also worth mentioning that there is an exposure lock but this only
works in aperture priority mode with partial metering selected.

TTL flash doesn't appear to work with the Leica SF20 flash for the R7 or
R6.2 but it does work with a Metz flash and SCA3501 adapter.

The R7 also cost much less than my R6.2 (both were bought used and in nearly
mint condition).

Joe Chan