Subject: Re: [Leica] Misfocusing 50 Summicron
From: "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 14:47:34 -0400 (EDT)

yes, i had a 90 'cron (gen III) in which the focus cam was not quite
true to the actual focus of the lens; off by about 1 inch at 6 feet.
leica USA took care of this for
me.  this was a real bear to track down because my m6 at the time had a
nearly precisely compensating error (at 6 feet) in its rangefinder focus.
i ended up sending both lens and body in, and afterwards they were all
very accurately aligned.

i have become rather paranoid about rangefinder misalignment, as it has
at one point afflicted every rangefinder camera i currently own; 2 m6es,
a fuji gs645 and a contax t.  so i periodically run focus tests wide open
on a tape measure at 6 foot, 12 foot and 25 foot distances.  this is a
problem endimic to the rangefinder concept.

when i used to shoot everything at f8, it was never a problem, but
with 90 crons, 75 lux, and 50 noct wide open, you can sure see if
your system is off.

- -rei

> From: Pierre Charbonneau <charbonneaup@videotron.ca>
>
> Since this problem happens on this lens alone and I have no reason to
> suspect a range finder problem with my 3 M bodies, it
> seems to that the cam of focusing on the lens itself is misleading the
> camera range finder.
>
> So my questions are these:
> -Has anybody experienced a similar problem?
> -Are Leica technicians able to adjust the focusing cam on an individual
> lens?
>
> Any thoughts or experience on this problem will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Pierre Charbonneau,
> Montreal

- --
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com