Subject: Re: [Leica] R4S
From: Douglas Herr<telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 04:55:04 -0700

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 03:24:44 -0400 Allan Wafkowski <allanwafkowski@mac.com>
wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with the R4S? I have a change to get one
if I want it, but I know nothing about Leica SLRs. Is it worth going
back that far, or should my exploration be with a newer body?
<<<

Allan, I used an R4s for several years and found it to be a reliable camera.
A CLA every 15 years or so is all it should need.

I sold it for 3 reasons: the viewfinder isn't as bright as the SL's (but then,
what is?), the manual-exposure mode seems like an afterthought, and it's hard
for me to get a good grip on the smaller body (vs. the SL or R8) when using
long lenses.

The first and last issues aren't a big deal if all you're going to use is
reasonably fast normal-ish lenses.  I've just turned 50 and I have a much
harder time focussing the R4s than the SL with the f/6.8 telyts or with the 60
macro at close range.

In manual-exposre mode, the shutter speed you've set on the shutter speed dial
isn't visible in the viewfinder.  This wouldn't be a significant problem if
the meter readout were a match-diode type, but what the meter does is tell you
what shutter speed to set!

Also as previously mentioned, some repair techs no longer service R bodies,
and some are reluctant to.  BTW both Sherry Krauter and Don Goldberg gladly
service the SL.

Doug Herr<BR>Birdman of Sacramento<BR>http://www.wildlightphoto.com