Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 shutter lag (or lack thereof?)
From: John Straus <Mail@SlideOne.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:00:42 -0500

> I suppose, but people who know about this stuff never think of is..... Guys
> like me who didn't know anything about it never worried about it. ERGO! the
> shutter delay didn't exist therefore it wasn't a problem as our reaction
> times were natural without thought.
>
> I actually didn't know anything about it until I read "shutter delay" while
> reading the LUG a few years back. I figured it was another of those techie
> things that if you didn't know anything about it, it wasn't worth worrying
> about. You see guys who think about all this stuff don't shoot by natural
> instinct simply because they know too much for their own good! ;-)

Ted unless you used more current, cheap(er), auto cameras from the other
companies I don't think you'd ever know what shutter lag is or really care.

Even though I'm a young lad I remember using a mechanical camera a
loooooooong time ago ;) You would just plan  your finger press timing for
the cameras "click", meaning know the camera and adjust yourself to it. As
time goes on and Leica (for you) comes out with the next body I assume the
"delay" only gets shorter. Leica only seemed to come out with one camera
body at a time (so the history books say) and since they are high end bodies
everything just got better (in general). The real test for yourself would
be, on your next job shooting race cars, replace your R8 with a MiniLux
Zoom. Then you'll know what shutter lag is all about ;) and if you find that
the MiniLux is just as good...send me your R8 stuff as you won't need it
anymore :D The mini is so much more compact and a real chick magnet I
hear...

For the most part this shutter lag timing is a joke for the M as you have to
depress the button to some point in space then the shutter trips. As in, the
release is NOT electronic so like your 'lag" will have different amounts of
time depending on how far down you have the release pushed! Even though the
M7 is "electronic" I believe the release works the same way and has the same
feel as on the M6 (I'm guessing this from the 30 seconds I played with a 7)
So read all you want into lag, and if you bought an M7 and find out is to
laggy for you send it my way. I'll test it out with my finger and fax a copy
of my findings to you.

PS: Please note: The research fee into shutter lag on the M7 body you send
me will cost you...one M7 body. Thank You and good night.

- --
John Straus
Chicago, IL
http://SlideOne.com