Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm Summilux-M
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:59:18 EDT

In a message dated 7/31/02 12:00:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:

> Seth Rosner inexplicably - ;-) - wrote:
>
>  ...Unquestionably today Leica
>  is striving to introduce cameras and lenses that perform better than the
>  Leica products they replace.
>
>  ---------------------
>
>  Unquestionably? I don't think so. While there seems little questions that
>  the optical quality of the latest generation of lenses represents a marked
>  improvement over earlier generations. But while build quality is still
>  probably the world's best, the build quality of today's Leica lenses
doesn't
>  match up to the build quality of earlier Leica lenses - but what does match
>  up in today's world?

B.D. and Rolfe:

I am with you both. I was trying to be politic with the message and not start
another list-flame. And I'm with Sherry with whom I have had many long and
detailed discussions about build quality. Please note that I wrote that
"unquestionably today Leica is striving to introduce cameras and lenses that
perform better than the Leica products they replace." I didn't say that Leica
succeeds in this with every product.

But although I continue to believe that the M3, M2, M4 and M5 were better
made than the current rangefinder Leicas and that the DR Summicron is still
the best all-around "normal" lens Leitz/Leica ever produced (and please
friends let's not start another war, I recognize your right to disagree and
think Rosner's nuts), please don't tell me that the 100/2,8
APO-Macro-Elmarit, the 180/2,8 APO-Elmarit and the 135/3,4 APO-Tely-M are not
among the most phenomenal lenses ever made.

And please don't carp with me that Leica is deliberately trying to produce
junk. Are they introducing money-saving measures in product (known in plain
language as cutting corners)? Of course they are.

They still have to get product out at a price that sufficient numbers of
customers will pay and still produce a profit to the company to spend on
research and development of yet newer products and a return on investment.

I gotta go back to earning a living.

All the best gang.

Seth               LaK 9