Subject: [Leica] Re shutter lag
From: Herbert & Lee Kanner <kanner@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:45:12 -0700

Ted,

I agree with you. Since human reaction time is said to be in the
neighborhood of 1/4 second, it is hard to see how an additional 1/10 of a
second delay in the camera mechanism could be of much significance.

Cheers,

Herb

Peter Klein enquired:

> Does anyone know why Pop Photo and Erwin have such different results re.
> the M7 shutter lag?<<<

hi Peter,

Yep the testers were out drinking and one had more beer than the other! ;-)
And they used different cameras and different methods.

And may I ask why one would even consider this as something you absolutely
need to know to make interesting photographs?

I can never fathom being concerned about ms delay as I'm always far more
concerned at capturing the magic moment with nothing else interfering with
my finger reflexes!  Do you folks concerned with this actually think about
it as you're tripping the shutter?

As in, "OK now we're coming up to what I think will be the big moment,
therefore I should start to squeeze down on the shutter release 100ms before
it actually happens to capture the peak action."  Do you really do that? Or
even think that way while shooting?

Hell I'm so busy concentrating on the light, eyes and the action of
capturing the moment, I'm not even thinking about anything else. But gee
whiz maybe for 50 years I've been doing something wrong all this time and
all those sport action pictures I did were flukes! ;-)

So please explain to me "in real time meaning " just what this ms thing has
to do with real photojournalistic photography and just how it can be
applied, don't forget to please do so in common sense logic for successful
photographs.

Thank you.
ted

- --