Subject: Re: [Leica] Millimeters and Milliseconds
From: Allan Wafkowski <allanwafkowski@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 04:52:23 -0400

Rob, your message is reassuring. I'm getting private email suggesting
I'm a dunderhead for have criticized photojournalism. In fact, what I
criticized are the pretensions of those who believe PJ is what it
clearly is not.

I was at a friend's apartment a while back and the network news came on.
I rose to leave (which I had planned to do), but was asked wouldn't I
like to stay and watch the news. I said no, and someone snidely asked
whether I cared what was going on in the world--implying I was a
know-nothing, feel-nothing person who didn't have the humanity to sit
for half an hour and be informed about something outside of myself. It
wasn't the proper time to explain that I never purposely watch network
news because I don't trust being informed by idiots who put on happy
faces for one story, and sad faces for the next, while relating story
after story of meaningless chatter. Quality had been left out of the
equation. So much of what passes as PJ is meaningless filler, but it has
taken on a kind of symbolic meaning that stands for caring and activism.

Rob doesn't post often on the LUG, but when he writes, "Why is there
virtually no market for photographic documentary" he knows what he is
talking about. Rob's talent as a documentary photographer is secure
because of the excellence of his portfolio. If he can't sell his work,
it's because quality work is not being bought. I suggest anyone
interested do a  google.com search for "City of Crows" or "Hazaratown
Stories". I don't know what other parts of Robs portfolio is out on the
web in pdf form, but I have those two so I know they are available. Rob,
last time I attempted to get to your site, I was unable to. Is it up?

Allan