Subject: [Leica] Nothing to do with Leicas, just the U.S.
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 07:37:08 -0700 (PDT)

Well following the thread of complaints about doing
business in America, I thought I'd pass along the
following that was written by an Aussie dentist.

I'm not much for the politics of the Democrats or the
Republicans, or any other political party in the U.S.,
but somehow we muddle through....

"You probably missed it in the rush of news last week,
but there was actually a report that someone in
Pakistan had published in a newspaper an offer of a
reward to anyone who killed an American, any American.
So I just thought I would write to let them know what
an American is, so they would know when they found
one.

An American is English, or French, or Italian, Irish,
German, Spanish,Polish, Russian or Greek. An American
may also be Canadian, Mexican,African, Indian,
Chinese, Japanese, Australian, Iranian, Asian, or
Arab, or Pakistani, or Afghan. An American may also be
a Cherokee, Osage,Blackfoot, Navaho, Apache, or one of
the many other tribes known as native Americans.

An American is Christian, or he could be Jewish, or
Buddhist, or Muslim. In fact, there are more Muslims
in America than in Afghanistan. The only difference is
that in America they are free to worship as each of
them chooses. An American is also free to believe in
no religion. For that he will answer only to God, not
to the government, or to armed thugs claiming to speak
for the government and for God.

 An American is from the most prosperous land in the
history of the world.

The root of that prosperity can be found in the
Declaration of Independence,which recognizes the God
given right of each man and woman to the pursuit
of happiness.

An American is generous. Americans have helped out
just about every other nation in the world in their
time of need. When Afghanistan was overrun by the
Soviet army 20 years ago, Americans came with arms and
supplies to enable the people to win back their
country. As of the morning of September 11, Americans
had given more than any other nation to the poor in
Afghanistan.

Americans welcome the best, the best products, the
best books, the best music, the best food, the best
athletes. But they also welcome the least.

The national symbol of America, The Statue of Liberty,
welcomes your tired and your poor, the wretched refuse
of your teeming shores, the homeless, tempest tossed.
These in fact are the people who built America. Some
of them were working in the Twin Towers the morning of
September 11, earning a better life for their
families. I've been told that the World Trade Center
victims were from at least 30 other countries,
cultures, and first languages, including those that
aided and abetted the terrorists.

So you can try to kill an American if you must. Hitler
did. So did General Tojo, and Stalin, and Mao
Tse-Tung, and every bloodthirsty tyrant in the history
of the world. But, in doing so you would just be
killing yourself.

Because Americans are not a particular people from a
particular place.They are the embodiment of the human
spirit of freedom. Everyone who holds to that spirit,
everywhere, is an American."