Subject: Re: [Leica] Documentary photography - pj
From: David Mason <dcm@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 11:38:54 -0400

"B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> writes:

[snip]

> As for today's documentary photographers, do we really think that
> there is anyone who buys a Salgado book, or goes to a Salgado
> exhibit, who isn't already aware of the conditions he documents, and
> doesn't already share his viewpoint?

[snip]

I can't disagree much with all that you have said - however, I think
there is change and then there is impact (not the original meaning
involving two objects colliding). I think even the smallest
documentary photography project (not all have to be large, expensive
books) can teach a person about a situation, or even open that person
up to some new aspect of it. It doesn't necessarily have to make a
person run out and contribute to the cause or start a revolution.

When I saw the Salgado documentary film I mentioned once earlier this
week, one thing that struck me was that his take on his 'Workers'
project was much different than I expected it to be. His take on it
was purely economic (not surprising considering he is a trained
economist) and had less political motivation than I first suspected.

I think I would have handled the student with a slightly different
approach. Rather than simply telling him to go get the MA, I would
have told him to get the MA, and continue to do documentary
photography. Or, as I have found in my career follies - do what makes
you happy! Again, it doesn't have to be a large scale, big money book
to be documentary photography - it also doesn't have to be a full-time
profession. I know that some of the shows I have seen by mere amateurs
at the Duke Center for Documentary Studies (which I happen to live
near) have done as much or more for me than some of my favorite pro
superstars have.

Cheers,

Dave