Subject: RE: [Leica] Documentary photography - pj
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 12:57:22 -0400

Come on, Tina...There's a big difference between being hired by an NGO or
church group to shoot specific kinds of images - and they are gorgeous
images you produce - and being a documentary photographer who takes
commercial assignments, sells some news photos, inorder to spend months, or
years, on a project that will end up in a book purchased by 2000 people or
in a gallery where a comparative handful of people will see it. Do you
really think that someone paid Gene Richards to hang around with and shoot
crack addicts for a year to produce Cocaine True, Cocaine Blue. Or that
someone like Giles Peres gets advances on his photo books. Sure, Richards
did some of the Cocaine work for Life, which helped him do more of it. And
Peres sells some of what he shoots while working on a project. But many of
the biggest names in documentary photography are NOT ultimately making money
on their work, and that work is not completely underwritten by anyone -
unless you think that when Richards does a shoot for say, British Levis, and
then supports his family with that money while he is shooting crack addicts,
that British Levis is underwriting the work.

The difference between what a Richards, or a Peres, or a Towel (sp), or a
Meiselas does, and what you do in Central America or, for that matter, I do
with families, is that the former are marching to the beat of their own
drummer, and produce work that has to please no one but themselves. While
you are producing work that will fulfill the specific needs of your
clients - NGOs, while I am producing work that will fulfill the specific
needs of my clients - families. Certainly both you and I have our own
drummers laying down a beat for us, and we bring our own vision to our
projects, but the end results must be what our clients are paying for - not
necessarily what we think would be the strongest work.

B. D.