Subject: [Leica] 3D / Bokeh
From: Shortymx <shortymx@prodigy.net.mx>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 21:02:41 -0500

I just received two rolls of processed slide film recently exposed.  It has
been at least 10 years since I shot any slides, and these were the first
taken with my M6, so what I saw was startling to say the least.  The films
were E-100-VS, and all exposures were with a 35/2 ASPH.  There is a distinct
3D effect to the slides whether viewed on a hand viewer, or projected.  It
is most noticeable with bright colors in the foreground, and  is strongest
with contrast between reds, and cooler colors.  Back, side, or front
lighting makes no difference.  I am assuming that this is due to the film
layered coating process, but am wondering is the famous Leica "bokeh"has
anything to do with the phenomenon.  I don't notice this with older
transparences, or positives in color, or b&w.  Please, can anyone comment on
this.

Thanks,
Stu Boyd

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> (Re: [Leica] 3D / Bokeh)