Subject: RE: [Leica] WOW! [or Why-Oh-Why] my final response
From: bennett <3bennett@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 17:32:49 +0100

>People have been keen to dismiss the work in various ways and I thanks
>you for being honest in the way you label it (as you see it). But if it
>really is just snaps, shouldn't we all just be able to reproduce such
>shots?  Dog or no dog?
>Stuart Phillips

We all should, but obviously none of us ever has. (Or I suppose that our
pictures would be currently featured on Leica's site.)

The comment that "anybody could do it" is common to a certain kind of
disparaging art criticism that has been applied to everybody from Picasso
to Ornette Coleman, though obviously there has only been one of each.

In my poetic moments I imagine with a smile all of the lost cubist
masterpieces and plastic saxophones lying forgotten in the penumbra of
dusty suburban closets...

Guy