Subject: RE: [Leica] 135 w/goggles, w/1.25x magnifier[s]
From: "Mitch Zeissler" <zeissler@directvinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 07:06:51 -0400

Mark...

Well, I did indicate at the beginning of the post that *I* was missing the
shots and *your* mileage may vary, which it obviously has.  I'll try to make
it more obvious this time.  ;-)

WARNING  -  YOU ARE NOW ENTERING THE "YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY" ZONE
For me, having an issue with putting the zone of focus where I want it is
not something I'm accustomed to, but then I've also been changing my photo
work habits in recent months.  Previously, the Noct has been my primary lens
and I had not used the 135 focal length much; most of the time the 135 was
used for middle and long distance landscape shots where the zone of focus
isn't as critical.

When using the Noct close focused and wide-open, I've only occasionally
missed the focus point.  But when I began to use the 135 close focused and
wide-open [to crop in-camera from the 135 what I would have to crop in
Photoshop from the Noct], I missed as much as 50 percent of my shots by a
*tiny* amount.

Being a perfectionist, that bothers me.  Which is why I'm exploring
alternatives for *me* to continue using the 135 close focused and wide-open.
APO, goggled, Hektor or other variants of the 135 are immaterial if *I*
can't get the results that I'm seeking.  Either I find a solution for *my*
problem [which may include exploring an R8], or I just accept that I have a
high miss rate with the longer close focused rangefinder focal lengths.

No, in this case, I don't believe the problem is with the equipment and am
willing to accept that the problem resides with me.  And yes, I'm thinking I
may need to have my vision checked and my prescription adjusted.  ;-)

FWIW, the APO delivers superb results when I nail the focusing.

THANK YOU  -  YOU HAVE JUST LEFT THE "YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY" ZONE

Regards,

/Mitch
Mitch Zeissler