Subject: RE: [Leica] 35 Lux non-ASPH
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 17:46:38 -0400

That's an interesting exercise, Tom, but a test of the old 35 Summilux
against a Nikon slr lens really doesn't do anyone with a Leica M any good.
If the Nikon SLR user wants a 35 1.4 lens he has one choice - the lens you
tested. But that lens does nothing for the Leica owner. The Leica owner has
a choice - the 35 1.4 Summilux, or the newer 35 1.4 Summilux ASPH.

And what the lenses do at 2.8 is pretty close to totally irrevelvant - or
even at f 2 for that matter, as there are any number of choices in the old
35 Summicron family - and there's the new Summicron ASPH. But if you need
1.4, that's what you need to be comparing - performance at 1.4.

B. D.