From: "Mitch Zeissler" <zeissler@directvinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 06:01:13 -0400

Matt...

Depends on what you want to do with it.  I agree with Jim; a strong
portfolio can make you or break you in the hiring process, but the school
you go to can be beneficial as well.

I have a BFA in communication design from VCU, which has a reputation for
having one of the better state run art curriculums on the east coast.  I
can't speak for other parts of the country, but I know the graphic arts
community in the mid-Atlantic region is somewhat like an old boys school.
When competing with others that had strong portfolios like myself, I
frequently edged them out because I was being hired by a fellow VCU alumni.

That said, I've seen many folks in the field that had *never* been through
formal art schooling; they were simply hired on the strength of their
portfolio.  In the long term, some of them were excellent, and some weren't.

Probably a better gauge to go by is what *you* want to do with it.  If you
want to stay in Texas or that region, your current schooling is likely
enough.  If you want to end up in New York, I'd pursue other schools.  An
alternative is to stay in your current school, graduate and get a job
locally, build up your portfolio, then move on to bigger challenges.

Regards,

/Mitch