Subject: Re: [Leica] Relatively New Leica M user....
From: "J. Gilbert Plantinga" <gilplant@hvc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 07:34:44 -0400

On Thursday, August 8, 2002, at 06:15  AM, Red Dawn wrote:
<snip>
> 1) I got the 0.58 mag version of the M6 TTL. I notice that even for the
> 28mm
> framelines, they do not occupy the entire viewfinder and there's a fair
> bit
> of space left over. I was wondering if it would be possible to use the
> Elmarit 24mm f2.8, or even the Elmarit 21mm f2.8, WITHOUT the external
> viewfinder, and still get fairly accurate framing?
>
> Is there anyone who uses their 24 or 21mm lens utilising the entire
> 0.58x
> viewfinder for framing? Or is that not a feasible solution? If it is
> workable, i can consider swapping out my glasses for contacts ;p

My bodies have the .72 finder which covers about the same field as the
24 but I always use the auxiliary finder, even with the 28, because the
hood blocks the lower right corner of the camera's finder.

> 2) Metering. The lack of 1/2 stop or 1/3 stop indent on the shutter
> speed
> dial disturbs me a little, having come from my Canon AF SLRs which
> offers
> 1/3 stops on both aperture and shutter speeds. Does this make every M
> user a
> shutter speed priority shooter, since the only way to fine tune for
> metering
> appears to be to adjust the aperture?
>
> With SLRs, i always determine desired aperture then fine tune with
> shutter
> speeds. This doesn't seem to work in Leica M land. And because I shoot
> mostly slides, I do need to get the metering fairly accurate. How do you
> guys do it?

I mostly set the shutter speed and leave it, adjusting the aperture
until the diodes light up - shoot! Half stops are always good enough
(but I'm now an M7 convert <g> )

> 3) Just curious, how do u hold the camera while framing vertically?
> tilting
> camera anti clockwise, or clockwise? I notice I'm shaking quite a fair
> bit
> with either stance. Maybe i just need to get used to the grip (or lack
> thereof) of the M......
>
> 4) Speaking of grips, is there such a thing as a wrist strap or similar
> contraption for the M6?

The motor has a nice grip. I usually do verticals with my right hand up
top.

Gilbert

Replies: Reply from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] Relatively New Leica M user....)