Subject: Re: [Leica] Relatively New Leica M user....
From: "Daniel Ridings" <dlridings@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 13:37:30 +0200

>scan). Coming from a heavy Canon AF SLR background, it took me a long time
>to accept the fact (before i buy the M) that the framing would never be
>100%
>accurate (among my SLRs, i have the 1v which gives 100% coverage, and my
>D30
>gives me almost 100%.....).

I used to think that too, but it depends on how you use the camera. With the
Leica I tend to react a lot more from intuition and that rarely leaves time
for accurate (100%) framing anyway.

>2) Metering. The lack of 1/2 stop or 1/3 stop indent on the shutter speed
>dial disturbs me a little, having come from my Canon AF SLRs which offers
>1/3 stops on both aperture and shutter speeds. Does this make every M user
>shutter speed priority shooter, since the only way to fine tune for
>metering
>appears to be to adjust the aperture?

You could always just adjust the aperature anyway. Even if there isn't a
click-stop there, it stops down between clicks. For my own part ... the
shutters on any mechanical camera (maybe even electronic) are not all that
accurate anyway to play around with 1/3 stops. I think they're off by the
same amount all the time, so you could make mental notes (1/1000 of a second
is probably _never_ right on ... I'd guess about 1/750 and then you're in
the range of your 1/3 stops .... I think). You've shot about 20 rolls of
slides now ... what do they tell you?

>3) Just curious, how do u hold the camera while framing vertically? tilting
>camera anti clockwise, or clockwise?

Whichever way that shades the rangefinder best :)

Enjoy your camera! They are really nice little things to carry around and
point at people.

Daniel