Subject: Re: [Leica] Relatively New Leica M user....
From: "SonC \(Sonny Carter\)" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 08:43:16 -0500

- ----- Original Message -----
Questions From "Red Dawn" <reddawn@singnet.com.sg>

> 2) Metering. The lack of 1/2 stop or 1/3 stop indent on the shutter
speed
> dial disturbs me a little, having come from my Canon AF SLRs which
offers
> 1/3 stops on both aperture and shutter speeds. Does this make every
M user a
> shutter speed priority shooter, since the only way to fine tune for
metering
> appears to be to adjust the aperture?

You'll find that on an M6,  adjusting the aperture is simpler than
adjusting the shutter-speed, especially when using wide angle lenses,
where depth of field is less of a consideration.

> With SLRs, i always determine desired aperture then fine tune with
shutter
> speeds. This doesn't seem to work in Leica M land. And because I
shoot
> mostly slides, I do need to get the metering fairly accurate. How do
you
> guys do it?

See above

> 3) Just curious, how do u hold the camera while framing vertically?
tilting
> camera anti clockwise, or clockwise? I notice I'm shaking quite a
fair bit
> with either stance. Maybe i just need to get used to the grip (or
lack
> thereof) of the M......
See:
http://www.sonc.com/m6.htm

> 4) Speaking of grips, is there such a thing as a wrist strap or
similar
> contraption for the M6?

Some coverage of wrist straps has been made in the past couple days on
the LUG.  I use a TMP grip, no longer made,
http://www.sonc.com/elmarit135.jpg
 but similar ones are available from Leica, and also a company called
GMP makes one similar to mine.
Some of our advertising dealers might stock both of these.

For one of the better FAQ's on Leica, see
http://www.nemeng.com/leica/index.shtml

and of course, my own links page
http://www.sonc.com/bookmarks.htm

Hope this helps.