Subject: [none]
From: Thomas_Mitchell@idx.com
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 11:27:30 -0700

Many thanks Darrell, this is great info.  Unfortunately it makes decision
making hard.  Right now, I shoot pretty much only B&W negs but I'll be
sharing the digital darkroom with my mother who shoots landscapes mostly in
color slides.  I was hoping to get by with a single printer but alas...

I like the idea of the 3000 with Piezotone.  I don't want to cripple my
Leica glass with substandard printing.

Best Regards,

Thomas

 To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
 Subject: Re: [Leica] Epson 2200?

Thomas, I can't talk specifically to the 2200, but I
can talk to the inkset they use. I recently bought a
7600 which uses the same 7 ink set as the 2200...it
does beautiful color prints, and pretty good black and
white. However, I prefer my Epson 3000 with Peizotone
inks for black and white and am only using the 7600
for color. The Ultrachrome B&W prints on the 7600 look
like a print on RC paper, while the Peizotone prints
look like a platinum print. So far I have only used
the luster paper that came with the printer, so I may
find that it looks better when I switch over to a
different paper type.

Only drawbacks on the 7600 (which I expect are
duplicated on the 2200) are:

1. To change from glossy/luster to matte/watercolor
paper, you have to purge the ink lines...all of them.
Even though the only color that changes is the black
ink.  There is no way to purge one ink line at a time.
 So every time you change paper types will cost you
about $100 in ink (it may be less on the 2200 since
the ink lines are probably shorter). With this
expense, If you change back and forth often you need
to buy two printers.

2. Epson is not shipping paper profiles with the 7600
for Windows machines. Oddly they do for the Mac...And
VERY oddly you can't take the Mac profiles and rename
them and use them in a Windows PC...Photoshop just
won't see them.  The printer works great on
"Automatic" and makes beautiful prints, but I can't
imagine a printer aimed at this market that doesn't
have paper profiles.

Finally, as to your question on when Peizotone will be
in the 7 ink set...no time soon.  I was told about a
year. DJ