Subject: Re: [Leica] A question to R8 owners...
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 14:11:09 -0500

>Has anyone else had this problem? Or am I alone in this?

The first chrome R8 I bought, exhibited this distressing cosmetic phenomena with
its "black rubberized parts" within days of receiving the camera. But I loved it
anyway. Then, slowly, the camera began taking photos of its own choosing - I'd
take a meter reading and not take a shot and a moment or two later the camera
would, without my finger's help make an exposure - this occured infrequently and
sporadically - at first. Then as a couple years went by - with increasing
frequency, to the point where it may take a shot when I turned it on, without
even depressing the shutter to take a reading. I finally couldn't take it any
longer and sent it to Leica in NJ. They said, "The part (a board) will take 6 to
12 weeks to get. Do you want us to order it or would like a new "demo" now?" I
said send the demo. It (chrome) arrived within a week or two. It was DOA.
Furious - I sent it back. They sent me another demo (black) within another week
or two. This camera, which I've had for 5 months or so, shows none of this
cosmetic flaking phenomena (yet), and works flawlessly.

George