Subject: Re: [Leica] Meteorites alert
From: John Bohner <johnbohner@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 22:59:37 -0700

	Congratulations SonC on such an auspicious birthdate.  Not everyone has
their
birthdate marked with such a fine event!

	According to some NASA readings, the Perseids will peak this year at
2200 UTC on the 12th. I don't remember them being so tightly bunched up
in time as the Leonids mini-storms were last fall.  One web site I viewed
suggested that
the wonderfull 'earth grazers' are best seen shortly after 9 PM local time
when Perseus is
just rising above the night's horizion.
	I hope to spend Saturday night out watching from Mt Pinos here in southern
California.  It's 60 miles from L.A. and 8000 ft (2400 M) altitude give it
some very nice
dark skies.  Its a local Mecca for astronomy buffs.  The plan is to shoot
some Fuji Sensia 400 through an R19mm and see if I can capture anything
besides the L.A. to
San Francisco shuttle flights.
	As to removing distortion from thick glass.... remove the glass?  IMHO,
watching a
meteor storm through a window is a bit like stopping at a fine restaurant
and paying to
watch others eat.

John Bohner
two good links http://www.spaceweather.com/