Subject: Re: [Leica] So you want a new Leica M series Body?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 09:08:43 -0700

Mark Kronquist wrote:
>>> Perhaps this is a return to reality. as a shooter I give not a whit of
the
> resale value of my Leica M Cameras. I will use them for the next four or
> five decades and then my kids can use them.<<<

Hi Mark,
I'm with you all the way as surely anyone with a whit of intelligence in the
monetary investment fashion, surely not I, could  possibly look at buying a
Leica or Leicas as an investment.

Maybe years ago there was a value for making "good money". However, I think
today the value isn't as it was.

My Leica's have always been tools nothing more. Although I must confess of
one digression some years ago when I was brain washed into buying an M4, one
of the few 500 re-made after the demise of the M5. On the top plate or back
body was the Leitz ensignia and "Made in Midland" Or words close to that.

I was assured it was a solid investment and I'd double or triple my purchase
price. So I bought and took one peek at it and back into the box. Man money
was going to come easy I figured.

Well after about three weeks I had a heavy duty assignment that could be
handled much easier using 4 M4's at once and yep... you guessed it... out of
the box and into use.

My thought was I'll be very careful and use it the least. ;-) Sure Ted! ;-)
Hanging around my neck in pristine condition it was the first camera to get
whacked by another M4 as I ran to catch-up to the personality I was
covering.  OOPS! :-( Investment over!

And from that moment on it went into daily use as a tool, as it should've in
the first place. Eventually it was sold. However, I do beleieve M4's with
Midland on top or back are a better than average money maker today.

Folks they're just tools, look after them, work them hard like a good woman
and they'll reward you with great pleasure and picture off spring! :-)
ted