Subject: RE: [Leica] So you want a new Leica M series Body?
From: David Rodgers <davrod@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 09:52:41 -0700

B.D.

At 09:38 AM 8/10/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>None of this says anything about the intrinsic worth of the cameras, but I'm
>afraid it does tell you something about the monetary value of our equipment,
>which suggests that, beyond the LUG, there is declining interest in Leica

Photographic equipment isn't the only thing that's been going down in
value. What goes down may eventually go up.

I'm using my Leicas less, and digital more. But only because I've been
shooing color. Soon I'll shift back to b/w.

Even though I scan b/w negs, and haven't touched an enlarger for
months,  the Piezo prints have a silver halide look. Call it grain,
texture, or whatever, I'm not sure, but it's unique to film, regardless of
the method of printing.

Digital camera b/w looks too chromogenic, IMO . Never was a fan of chromo
films. Plus, shooting digital is creatively different from shooting film.
(Am I the only one who feels this way?) Consider, for example, N1600 in an
M with a wide open 35/1.4 ASPH.

High end manual 35mm cameras will always be in demand. Leicas especially.
B/W 35mm film photography is unique. Demand may be down at the moment, but
the M6 is a very patient camera. Throw it in the closet for a few years and
it'll come out none-the-worse for non-wear. Like fine wine it ages well.
People will continually rediscover Leicas. Not-so, I think, the all-auto SLR.

BTW, regarding declining interest in Leica, even the LUG is guilty. I found
a LUG archives from a decade ago. It was very focused on photography --
Leica in particular. Noise was conspicuously absent. Pretty interesting to

Dave