Subject: Re: [Leica] Weekly Submission
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 13:46:04 -0700

on 8/10/02 12:01 PM, John Bohner at johnbohner@earthlink.net thoughtfully
wrote:

> Obviously the man on the right is depressed and a bit drunk.
> He is staring at a reflection in the water at his feet.
> It is of a half dressed woman combing her hair in the window
> of the 2nd floor apartment across the street.
> Her inverted image has started him thinking of his youth in
> Amsterdam as a photographer's assistant lugging a
> view camera to the more notorious districts of the city.
> Little did he know then, he would become a serious Leica addict,
> spending his meager pension on folding lens hoods for ancient
> elmarits and eating his cat's food.
> The people to the left are laughing, sharing an digital camera's
> image of their party in the restaurant they have just left.
> Yes, film noir,  it is.

This reminds me of the scene in "LA Story" where Steve Martin is commenting
on the contents of a painting. We see the four-some looking as Martin talks.

It's a great scene. I won't ruin how it ends, trite though this might be.

"LA Story" is one of the great comedies of the 90s although completely
overlooked. Both brash and subtle it bears re-viewing very well. When Martin
does his own work he is brilliant.

Adam Bridge