Subject: Re: [Leica] re: rob appleby photos
From: "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:20:18 +0200

Daniel, we would be getting into dangerous territory here, but this is a
campaign to drive Palestinians off their land, not a matter of killing off
weeds. It certainly is a poison - the crops in the sprayed areas are dead.

I was filming this situation with my Israeli camerawoman, Natasha, when we
came across an experimental irrigation system constructed by Hajj'Issa using
drip pipes and rainwater harvesting. Her eyes lit up and she said - this is
Israeli technology! I pointed out that Israeli irrigation systems not only
use water taken from the main west bank aquifers (to which palestinians are
denied autonomous access) and the jordan, but are funded by US taxpayers.
Not a welcome observation (our relationship was prickly at times, but
fruitful despite our disagreements. It was certainly a difficult experience
for her.)

The semantics of the territories and Israel are quite different.

I'm happy to pursue it, but maybe the infamous lugforum is a better...
forum.

R.