Subject: [Leica] OT: is this chemical used in the manufacture of Leicas?
From: John Brownlow <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:00:28 -0400

Some of you guys may not be aware of the burgeoning controversy over the
widely-used chemical DHMO, which at least one group is calling for a total
ban on. DHMO is in fact so widely used that a total ban would most likely
cripple the manufacturing processes of companies like Leica, as well as
having a lot of other unintended consequences. Usually I am on the banning
side of these arguments but in this case I think the activists have really
got the wrong end of the stick.

The case against DHMO is here

    http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

and, yes, I know it sounds bad but please THINK about it before coming to a
conclusion.

Also could someone please state definitively whether DHMO is used in the
Leica manufacturing process? I have heard that it is crucial in the
manufacture of certain kinds of glass, for example.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Replies: Reply from Dan C <leicaman@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] OT: is this chemical used in the manufacture of Leicas?)