Subject: Re: [Leica] X-raying of film by overnight couriers
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 09:20:28 -0700 (PDT)

I imagine that Fed Ex and others have customer service
lines that could tell you an answer.

Since Hawaii is an easy place to buy film, you may
want to wait and buy it there. If you are worried
about the xrays in airport security, the solution is
simple. Buy several of the heavy duty Domke fabric
covered lead bags with velcro openings.  I usually
double or tripple bag my film (holds about 15 roles of
35mm or 120 per bag).  It will absolutely keep your
film safe. I have used this method all over the world
and NEVER had a problem with any speed film.  When it
goes through the xray machine it is a black blob.
They will certainly then hand check your camera bag,
but it doesn't slow things down anymore than a hand
check of any other carry on.  The bags are about $40
each, but they last much longer and work much better
than the lighter weight lead bags.  I now have about
10 of them and use them whenever I travel (they are
large enough for almost any 35mm or smaller medium
format camera like a Hasselbald w/o a meter prism to
fit in). DJ