Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R 135mm 2.8, 3 cam, ser7 v. can
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:00:17 -0600

Well Doug et al have answered your performance questions but the optical
design changed first and later the mechanical design was changed. I had
a early 2 cam with a series 7 filter thread (E54) and the new optical
design. Leica also offered for the older lenses an inexpensive upgrade
to a E55 filter thread. So you need to examine the rear lens element:
the first optical formulation has a concave rear element and the second
a convex one.

See Doug's excellent site for more info:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/leica/

John Collier