Subject: RE: [Leica] R9 scoop...digital
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:04:07 -0400

> > So, if all that will be happening at Photokina appears to be a
> cut-down R8,
> > without any clear indication of a true R9 (not an AF but rather
> as described
> > above) and without clear commitment towards a digital R body, I fear the
> > worst for the R line in a couple of years.
> >
> > Pascal
> > NO ARCHIVE
>

> what the R9  needs is a digital back...

Steve,

There are many reasons that is "impractical" to say the least.  Digital SLRs
are designed from the ground up FOR digital sensors, controls, storage etc.
Simply taking an existing 35mm body and slapping a "digital back" on it
won't work the same (if at all) as designing it from the ground up.  The
digital backs for MF cameras are entirely different, as well as their use is
entirely different, than 35mm cameras are used for.

Austin

Replies: Reply from "Steve Barbour" <kididdoc@cox.net> (Re: [Leica] R9 scoop...digital)