Subject: RE: [Leica] R9 scoop
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 11:58:31 -0400

Okay...I will make this my last R harangue to the delight of most:

I preface this by saying that I know there are devoted R shooters on this
list and elsewhere. However...In terms of the bigger picture, the R8 is a
flop, as has been the entire R line for some time. Leica appears to have
launched its reflex line as an afterthought, and never gotten much beyond
that point. It's one thing to not be competing in terms of numbers with the
high end Nikons and Canons, it's another to have your sales continually
dropping. SLR today means autofocus with dozens of features. (I was amused
by someone hoping that an R9 would have Matrix flash metering - there hasn't
been a serious Nikon or Canon that hasn't had it in at least half a decade.

Sure, they can fiddle with the R8, make it smaller - which is, of course, an
admission that they made it too damn big in the first place - add a handful
of features that the competition has had for years, but even so they will
still have a major problem:

No matter what they do to and with the R line, it will remain years, if not
decades, behind the competition in offering the kinds of features that have
made other SLR lines so successful.

B. D.