Subject: [Leica] Travels with M6
From: "Oliver Bryk" <oliverbryk@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:27:50 -0700

Mark Pope wrote:
<snip>
The only comment that I would make about the B&W images is
whether they would have been improved by a yellow or orange filter.
The cloud formation over the Tenton range is very interesting.  For
some reason, the formation is a bit disconcerting - almost unnatural.
<snip>
Mark, thank you for your kind comments. Regarding the use of yellow or
orange filters in b&w, while I am of the "less is usually better" school, I
almost always inspect a scene through a K2 (Wratten 8) filter and/or a
polariser before deciding whether to use it. When there are cumuli over the
Tetons, they will visually dominate the scene, and the image will definitely
be enhanced by a K2 or a polarizer, depending on the sun angle. The K2 would
pretty much kill the shadow detail in the middle and foreground areas.  At
7,000' the light is very different than at sea level, and the UV component
tends to bedevil some exposure meters. Among the very few locations where I
have used a #21 orange filter (on my Hasselblad) is the high desert of
Nevada and Utah, the red rock country of the Colorado Plateau, and the
groves of ancient bristlecone pines at 11,000-12,000 feet.

When I saw the strange cloud take shape - I think it was a combination of
contrails - I pulled my Jeep off the dirt road and scrambled for a few
shooting positions.
Thanks again, Oliver

Norton AntiVirus scans all my outgoing e-mail.