Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo education
From: DFangon@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 02:35:51 EDT

In a message dated 8/21/02 9:33:55 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:

<< It's not exactly a beginning class...but if you go to
 http://web.mit.edu/21W.749/www/syllabus.html >>

This is definitely not beginners.  The course has moved from the technical to
the philisophical.  It's a course I would love to take......after I learn
about lighting and exposure and aperture and shutter speed and different
kinds of films,  after I can tell the difference between 35mm and medium
format,  after I can differentiate a rangefinder from an SLR from a TLR from
a P&S and understand the strenghts and limitations of each one,  after I can
grasp the principles that govern shape and form and texture and color,  after
I learn about lightmeters and learn how to use them, after I master the tonal
range and the zone system.  Finally, I must first study some history,  about
Daguerreotypes and calotypes etc. about Brady and Stieglitz, Eisenstaedt and
Margaret Bourke White and Henry Cartier Bresson before I will feel confident
and competent enough to do a paper on Richards or Salgado.
Dante