Subject: VERY OT - RE: [Leica] R9 scoop/ot
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 15:04:09 -0400

> Multiple processor Intel systems run on what I understand is a version of
> Unix.....a special version......and even if THAT is wrong, I do know that
> the resemblance of the correct OS to anything you have at a
> normal home, is
> purely fictional....

Well, NT and subsequent OSs have always been able to run on multiple CPUs.
The chief architect of NT etc. was Dave Cutler, who came to Microsoft from
Digital Equipment Corporation, where he was one of the architects of VMS,
which is one of the better/best/most advanced operating systems ever
developed.  There was always a "joke" about VMS - WNT...note that it's
merely a one letter advance in sequence, just like HAL and IBM from 2001...
Cutler moved MS out of the toy OS realm to a  professional level OS realm.

Until Dave arrived at Microsoft, they (MS) didn't really have a clue about
advanced OS development...and their best effort was Win 3.1, which, from a
reliability/usability standpoint was a disaster.  NT, and subsequent NT
based products have been far far better than anything MS has ever done as
far as OSs go.

Anyway, NT and subsequent OSs support clustering and multiple processors
etc. and do so somewhat well as a matter of fact.  You can thank Digital for
that (as well as a host of other things you probably aren't aware of that
came directly from development at Digital).

Austin