Subject: Re: [Leica] Question On Noctilux
From: "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 08:07:53 -0400 (EDT)

1st version: E58
2nd version: E60, hood bayonets to two pins
3rd version: E60, hood attaches to a groove
4th (current) version: E60, built-in hood

they are identical optically.  i'd say the larger filter size reduces the
extent of vignetting when using filters, but it's probably not a big
difference on a lens so trademarked by inherent vignetting at f1.0,
especially with the new slim-mount heliopans.  E60 is also the common thread
size  of the old 21 elmarit and all 75 summiluxes so if you have these lenses
you can share filters.  i own the 3rd noctilux version and personally, i
like the extra shading the hood provides plus the protection to the front
of the lens as compared with the sliding hood.

it seems manufacturers used to be more concerned with compact size back
when and filter sizes were often smaller.  look at hasselblad, changing their
standard filter from B50 to B60 (a pretty big change) when they went from
C to CF, even on same-formula lenses.

- -rei

> From: "SML" <inyoung@jps.net>
>
> Hello,
>
>   I know there are three different versions of this lens, the first being
> E58 followed by E60 with removable shade and the last E60 with built-in
> shade.  What differs in these versions other than the filter size and the
> shade type?  Are these all the same optically?  Why do the later two
> versions have bigger filter size?
>
> Regards,
> David Lee

- --